Pages

Monday 14 April 2014

10 Reasons Why You Should Not Donate To Charlie Satow This Summer

I'm fundraising to work as a 'Coordinator' with Education Partnerships Africa this summer (more info in link). I'm also running the Madrid Half Marathon. My target is 1000 pounds. 

If either of these things move you please donate as little or as much as you want. However before you do, please read this list of reasons why you should DEFINITELY NOT donate.


  1. Because I already went to Uganda like two times already. Uganda doesn’t need any more assistance from Charlie.
  2. Because this is the third consecutive year I’ve asked you to give your (potentially hard-earned) money. FFS. Just get a job.
  3. Because this is the second long distance run I’ve done for fundraising purposes in the last two years. I’m displaying a total lack of creativity, and on top of that I’m only running half as far as last time.
  4. Because this money unashamedly goes on ‘administrative costs’. This year my job is to support Project Workers and to look for new schools to work with so essentially ALL your money goes on getting ME to Mbarara and keeping ME alive for a month (not on me going out for dinner/safari/getting fantastic ‘African print’ shirts tailored don’t worry). So if you think of this as a holiday for me or if you think ‘administrative costs’ are the devil’s work, it would be positively immoral for you to donate.
  5. Because your money would do way more good if you gave it to any one of the following, rigorously-evaluated organisations (GiveWell, Schistosomiasis Control Initiative, Deworm the World Initiative). Or perhaps Oxfam, UNICEF or WFP, which generally all do excellent work. If you actually do this, send me a confirmation email or whatever because I will think of it as equal to or better than a donation to me. GO YOU.
  6. Because my Facebook is just turning into a self-promotion channel (blog, fundraising etc) and you don’t want to reward that by donating. Though you could see it as giving the middle finger to the idea of Facebook, in which case you might want to reward that by donating.
  7. Because you reject Peter Singer’s argument that we have a moral obligation to give to development organizations. That analogy about saving the child from the pond just isn’t valid.
  8. Because you yourself are fundraising for a cause this summer. Good news! In that case let’s spread the love and mutually donate. Just let me know.
  9. Because you’ve read a book by William Easterly or Dambisa Moyo and you think you’re all that and aid projects are BS. Run along you little scamp.
  10. Because, just, like, me continually going on about development is plain irritating.
 If you aren't convinced by any of these arguments, I guess you should donate...

No comments:

Post a Comment